Lewis & Clark Law School - J.D., cum laude; Cornelius Honor Society; Lewis & Clark Law Review; Keller Law & Entrepreneurship Scholar
University of Washington - B.A. (Philosophy), cum laude with Department and College Honors; Phi Beta Kappa
- Developed IP strategy including trade secrets, non-disclosure policies, web presence, copyrights, and federal and state trademark rights for state-licensed cannabis business.
- Represented film production company in successful license negotiations with international film distribution agency.
- Advised independent design contracting firm on alternative uses of existing intellectual property library.
- Negotiated favorable recording agreement terms with international record label on behalf of musical artist.
- Counseled individual through strategic responses to copyright and trademark cease & desist demands.
- Extinguished infringing content through the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and other means.
- Prepared software terms & conditions of use and licenses for B2B software company.
Sean Clancy is an attorney at Emerge Law Group. Sean’s practice focuses on business and intellectual property ("IP").
As outside IP counsel for a variety of innovative industries including state-licensed cannabis, entertainment media, design, consumer products, food, beverages, professional services, software, and new technology, Sean advises on state and federal trademark rights, copyrights, packaging and labeling, publicity, privacy, trade secrets, non-disclosure agreements, and licensing.
As general business and corporate counsel, Sean negotiates, prepares legal documents, and advises on relationships spanning from entity formation and ordinary business to complex transactions and disputes.
Before establishing Sean Clancy Law, he worked at the business, entertainment, and intellectual property boutique firm Day & Koch LLP. His earlier experience includes clerking for the Consul Group, the Small Business Legal Clinic, the Lewis & Clark Legal Clinic, and serving as judicial extern for Chief Judge Ann Aiken in the United States District Court of Oregon.
Sean also serves as the Vice President for Oregon Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts.
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
"The Legal Business of Pot," Sterling Education Services CLE (October 2016)
The Visual Artists Rights Act (VARA) co-author (September 2016)
"The Business of Marijuana in Oregon," The Seminar Group CLE (June 2016)
"Copyright & Fair Use: Old Factors, New Facts, and New Challenges," Oregon State Bar Intellectual Property Section CLE (April 2016)
"Advising Cannabusinesses in Oregon's Newest Emerging Market," Multnomah County Bar Association CLE (November 2015)
"The Federal Bar Association presents A Panel Discussion on Conflicts in Cannabis Law: Emerging and Future Challenges for State and Federal Practitioners," Lewis & Clark Law School (October 2015)
"Legal Rights Clearances for Film: Fair Use, E&O, and Other Topics," NW Documentary (April 2015)
"Trademarks in the Cannabis Industry," Oregon State Bar Intellectual Property Section CLE (March 2015)
Branded Bud or Generic Ganja? Trademarks for Marijuana in Washington, 18 Lewis & Clark Law Review 4 (2014)
This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.